Sunday, June 13, 2010

I like it because...

Today is my first full day minding the gallery from open to close, it is also my first day living with the work of Dennis Lin, n° 1 - 60  which runs till July 30th. 


So far it's been a refreshing experience. This has come, however, not only from the work itself but from the visitors who have come in the gallery and expressed (very honestly) their first impression of the piece. A gentlemen who came in (after being waved in by another passer by) really sticks with me. He approached Lin's massive structure of maple cookies suspended on metal hooks that hangs the entire length of the gallery, and without saying anything to me wandered around, eyes fixed on the work. He lingering here and there to peak between each section of wood. He seemed transfixed so I didn't bother him. Finally he approached the desk and, looking at me with camera around his neck and baseball cap on said, 


"It looks just like an undersea creature! That's why I like it so much! It's like a big monster!"


I smiled and agreed with him, it reminds me of that too and yes, that is one of the many reasons why it is wonderful. He left without reading anything about the artist or piece, excited by what he found one cloudy Sunday afternoon. 


I like that his reaction made me look at the work again, with fresh eyes (even though the morning had only passed by). I'm sure this could be said of any interaction one has with another viewer in a gallery, but these reminders arrive in a timely fashion, so I'm sure I needed it. The surprise and delight this man expressed was contagious. When he left I got up and walked around the piece again, taking it in. I think it's easy to become a little jaded to the magic that can be evoked by the unexpected. It perhaps takes a shared experience with someone else to re-open our eyes and look again, more closely. 


Come in and share what you think about the work sometime soon. 


- M.A.S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment