Friday, June 11, 2010

Ship o' Fools

I can't wait to see this.

At this moment, there is a thirty-foot salvaged Chinese junk in Trinity Bellwoods park, with a meticulously detailed interior that deals with the theme of aimless wandering. I love it when art goes far enough to actually create an ulterior world, instead of just suggesting it. Reminds me of Luke Painter's model house that was in Gallery 47 last month.

I think the reason I enjoy immersive art is that it makes me feel like a little kid again. When you are young, everything is so much bigger, and nothing has lost its novelty. As an adult, no matter what size something is, as long as the proportions are 'normal' it generally escapes notice. But making a house that is too large to be a doll house and too small to live in, or plunking a ship in the middle of a city park brings back that old toddler feeling all over again.

And that is why art is so very important: it keeps things in perspective.

Ship o' Fools artists: Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller

--C.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment